Question:
Why is it power companies and government tells us all to cut back on engery usage?
martywdx
2007-05-10 13:18:44 UTC
and when we do they raise the rates and/or increase the basic minimum , saying that they aren't making any money. Seems to me as consumers we get kicked in the as% either way.
Four answers:
2007-05-10 13:26:21 UTC
The less you use the less you pay, even if they do increase the cost per unit of power. It is best for the environment if we all start to consume less.
3j1217
2007-05-10 21:08:36 UTC
Generally it's the cost of producing electricity using diesel generators that is a major problem.

In terms of the smaller nations, eg. the Pacific Island Countries, the power utilities have diesel fuel cost, for electricity generation, at least 75% of their total operating cost.

If the people of these countries are able to reduce energy consumption the diesel cost would decrease. This would leave savings for other expenses such as employee salaries and customer service. Governments push for reduction in energy consumption because the power utilities in these countries are owned by the Government.

Also reducing energy consumption would be lesser consumption of an non-renewable fuel.
2007-05-10 14:06:01 UTC
Good answer, banner!

I have taught my daughters to use less energy every chance they get. They love telling me how they sat near a window so they could read during the day without turning on a light, or how they put on a sweater when they're cold, rather than turn up the thermostat.

I open the windows as often as possible for ventilation. People lived like that since the dawn of time. How we've become addicted to A/C is beyond me. I didn't grow up with A/C. We used fans and open windows. Sure, we sweat some nights, but I lived to tell about it.

My utility bills are usually less than half my neighbors's bills. They all tell me how lucky I am, but none of them, not one, will try to live without A/C. Some of them never open their windows, year round. I can't stand how musty their homes smell when I visit, but to each his own, I guess.

You want to save? Look in the mirror, you'll see the person who has the greatest effect on your energy costs.
2007-05-10 13:22:55 UTC
In Florida over the past few years it cost over 6 billion dollars to repair the damage from the hurricanes. The average bill went up 4 dollars. Would you want to pay for the repairs yourself or share it with all the other customers. Stop your wining!