Question:
Mexico have all the necessary to switch from fossil energy to new technology like ethanol?
Juan Carlos T
2007-05-10 15:44:39 UTC
Mexico have all the necessary to switch from fossil energy to new technology like ethanol?
Six answers:
Tom G
2007-05-10 16:00:30 UTC
Mexico can't even handle their own oil industry (PEMEX) so about 40% of their gasoline comes from the US. They also don't have the money to give ethanol plants and corn farmers (or sugar cane farmers) the subsidies that are given in the US to the whole ethanol scam!
Jeff Sadler
2007-05-11 02:15:47 UTC
First of all ethanol is a controversial fuel. It takes by some estimates more than 1 gallon of gas to make a gallon of ethanol. Careful here because the government leaves out the energy used to make fertilizer and to ship it as well as the energy used in making the tractors and other farm machinery. When all this is figured in depending on the estimates used the numbers are either very close or in the negatives (meaning we lose energy). Tropical plants like sugar cane do work however and give a positive gain of energy. The other problem is though that we are using food plants to achieve this, thus raising food prices on the poor!

Now as far as Mexico having technology? We do not completely have the technology ourselves so NO Mexico does not have it right now. Fortunately it takes relatively little technology to make and use ethanol on a small scale so it will probably spread there. I will emphasize on a small scale. This means individual farmers or a small group of farmers raising ethanol primarily for their own or local use.
Monet
2007-05-10 22:48:33 UTC
If I remember correctly Mexico City is the one of the top polluted cities in the world. If that is the case what is keeping them from doing it? Oh, ya they don't even make there own corn. Corn comes from the USA! CORN MAKES Most ethanols. Here is a good website below
liver_n_jello
2007-05-10 22:49:33 UTC
Mexico is pathetic. They have the largest quantities of the widest variety of natural resources. And their government doesn't have the slightest clue what to do with those, to pull their company out of the gutter.

So, if they truly do have some new technology, then I would be shocked.
2007-05-10 22:47:46 UTC
Have all the necessary what? In a few years they won't have to switch to anything because they will all have sneaked into the US illegally.
2007-05-10 22:46:33 UTC
Yes... yes they do.

Can I have best answer please?